Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hiking in the Dales

I'm so far behind on this blog now that I'm going to fast forward a bit just to catch up. Here's the pictures from our amazing day hike out of the town of Reeth in Swaledale.





If you go over to Fritz's blog, you can see a few more photos of the day. (www.fritzphoto.blogspot.com)

After a few days in Yorkshire, Mary drove us to Thirsk, the actualy town on which the fictional town of Darrowby is based, in James Herriots books. We spent several hours in the James Herriot Museum, which is in his actual clinic/house. I took tons of photos, but they'd only be of interest to rabid Herriot fans like myself, so I'll spare you those.

After Thirsk, we caught a bus into York, and spent a couple days there. York was great. We spent lots of time walking around checking out the sights. York was an important Roman town at one point. The emperor Constantine was actually crowned there. Also around year 1000, the Vikings moved in and it was a big Viking trading center. We took a walking tour around and it was fascinating. I have great pictures, but I can't get them to load properly, so you'll all just have to wait a bit for those.

After York, we took the train into London, and we've been here for a week. Big town. I'll post about London next time.

3 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I am sooooo enjoying this blog! Thank you Shannon! {Guess I'll have to see the Herriot-o-phile pictures upon your return : )}

Unknown said...

Shannon, it's not necessary to apologize about having a couple days between posts, just let us know how you're doing and have fun.

By the way where's madeleine did she get really naughty or something?

Make sure to stay dry.

Scott.